As a Wave Glider, I have a pretty interesting job. I’m in the water all the time, swimming in calm and rough seas, collecting data from the seafloor and sending it in real time to folks around the world. I’m happiest when I can help my customers listen, learn and protect our ocean. How cool is this?
For some, making New Year’s resolutions is a tradition they embrace and diligently work to achieve. For others, they save themselves the trouble. For me, I love making and achieving them. You see, even robots can push themselves to do more!
With a fresh 2019 before us, I want to share my New Year’s resolutions:
1. Lose a pound (or two). I gained some pesky barnacle weight after months at sea.
2. Travel more. I’ve been around the world, from the Arctic to Antarctica, yet there’s so much more of the ocean to explore and see.
3. Catch more waves and rays. I love body surfing the waves and catching the Sun’s rays. That’s what keeps me going – no gas, no engine, no emissions.
4. Add some new and cool accessories. I’m always looking for new things to carry or tow. Stay tuned as I hear I’m going to get some pretty nifty ones this year.
5. Expand my team. Wave Gliders can cover more ocean, collect more information and provide greater intelligence if we work in fleets or groups. We want 2019 to be the year of fleets around the world. I’m working hard on this one!
6. Share my knowledge. I want to help people preserve and protect our ocean. The data I collect will help unlock the secrets below and above the ocean’s surface. I want to share this information to help the world better manage and preserve this critical resource. Recently, I had the opportunity to do this in Hawai’i where I measured the impact of Hawai’i’s Kilauea Volcano’s lava flow on the ocean and marine life. This was a rare opportunity to help scientists observe ocean conditions from the ocean’s surface during live lava plumes. Sharing this information will contribute to future discoveries and greater knowledge of our ocean.
On behalf of Liquid Robotics, I want to wish you a very happy and prosperous New Year! May your 2019 be filled with exploration, new discoveries and safe, smooth waters.